Read the latest “Tutor News” for important and practical information when you are an active tutor.
Find the school calendar for the whole year to find out when schools are closed and no tutoring will take place.
- San Carlos School District calendar (Arundel, Brittan Acres, Heather, White Oaks, Arroyo, Mariposa, Central and Tierra Linda)
- San Carlos Charter Learning Center calendar
- Clifford School calendar
- Connect Community Charter School calendar
- Henry Ford School calendar
- Kennedy Middle School calendar
Handouts from HCT training & workshops
- Video of workshop “How to Support the Reluctant Learner” (held 3/15/18)
- Video of “Training and Orientation for New Tutors” (held 10/19/16 )
- Video of workshop “Learning Styles, everyone learns differently” (held 4/7/14). What type of learner are you?
- Video of workshop “Supporting Your Student in Math” (held on 3/4/14). Part 1 is about the “Everyday Day Math” curriculum that is being used in the elementary schools in San Carlos and Part 2 delves into the aspects of a math class in middle school.
- Math in Focus math curriculum videos: San Carlos schools have chosen “Math in Focus” as their math program for students. Here are some videos to help support students and to learn more about how they are being taught.
Math games with cards and dice
Check out the following hand outs if you are looking for some strategies to use or games to play with your student to practice math facts
- Multiplication strategies
- Long division strategy
- Steps to take in solving math word problems
- Place value practice game with dice
- Top-it card game to practice addition, subtraction, multiplication
- Name that number
- Basketball addition game with dice
- Baseball multiplication game with dice
- How close to 100? – practice multiplication with the visual concept of multiplication
- Circles and Stars multiplication game
- Multiplication/Division facts table
- Addition/Subtraction facts table
- A few more math games (elementary students)
High Frequency Words
High frequency words, often also called sight words (or no-excuse words), are commonly used words that young children are encouraged to memorize as a whole by sight, so that they can automatically recognize these words in print without having to use any strategies to decode. Click here to find the high frequency words for Kindergarten through 4th grade.
Back to top of page
Useful websites to check out
- CoolMath4Kids.com – sister-site of coolmath.com, appropriate for ages 3-12
- Coolmath.com – children can play online math games that help them with addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, money and more. Geared towards ages 13 and up.
- education.com – print up to 10 feee worksheets per month
- funbrain.com – math games for students to use independently of their tutor
- ixl.com – comprehensive k-12 curriculum, some students have their own accounts
- khanacademy.org – Khan Academy – their mission is to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere.
- mathopenref.com – math reference site. A free interactive math textbook on he web covering AlgebraI, Geometry, Constructions, Trigonometry and Calculus.
- pinterest.com – for example search for ‘math games for 1st grade”
- pta.org/home/family-resources/Parents-Guides-to-Student-Success – created for grades K-8 and high school English, language arts/literacy and mathematics, the guides provide clear, consistent expectations for what students should be learning at each grade in order to be prepared for college and career.
- quizlet.com – flash cards on all topics
- use Lego’s to help with teaching fractions
- youcubed.org – great resource for math! the mission of this organization is inspiring math success for all students through growth mindsets and innovative teaching.
And don’t forget to check out our blog for announcements and news about Healthy Cities Tutoring!