- Check-in/ask about their day or what they’re doing
- Have some fun: Play a game like 20 questions, do a scavenger hunt retrieving random items such as a magazine, stuffed animal, wooden spoon, ball, piece of mail and a potholder) or share a joke.
- Share a story (food you made, a small animal you saw, happy memory)
- Ask about homework
Doing the basics: Reading, Writing, Math
- Read a book aloud and ask questions (what do you think will happen next? What is in his backpack? What do you think she wants for her birthday?)
- Writing – provide a prompt and share the writing with each other; Write a story together in which each of you contributes a sentence one after the other
- Do a challenge question with each other (describe your dream day, a country you’d like to visit, create a cake – what would it look like? a hobby that you do)
- Math – addition or multiplication tables, practice.
Set a goal for the next session
- Bring a memorable item in your house, draw a picture, share a favorite game, show a book cover of a beloved book.
- Have an art contest – task both of yourselves drawing a penguin and compare them next session
- Both wear a designated color – wear as many pieces of green clothing as possible
- Use a puppet during the video session. The puppet can tell the student a story or quiz the student on multiplication tables or just chat with the student about what happened this week.